Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones

Darynda Jones, author of The New York Times bestselling series that began with First Grave on the Right, brings us Death and the Girl Next Door, a thrilling Young Adult novel garnering high praise and early buzz from major authors

Ten years ago, Lorelei's parents disappeared without a trace.  Raised by her grandparents and leaning on the support of her best friends, Lorelei is finally beginning to accept the fact that her parents are never coming home.  For Lorelei, life goes on.

High school is not quite as painful as she thinks it will be, and things are as normal as they can be.  Until the day the school's designated loner, Cameron Lusk, begins to stalk her, turning up where she least expects it,  standing outside her house in the dark, night after night.  Things get even more complicated when a new guy—terrifying, tough, sexy Jared Kovach—comes to school.  Cameron and Jared instantly despise each other and Lorelei seems to be the reason for their animosity.  What does Jared know about her parents?  Why does Cameron tell Jared he can't have Lorelei?  And what will any of them do when Death comes knocking for real?  Thrilling, sassy, sexy, and inventive, Darynda Jones's first foray into the world of teens will leave readers eager for the next installment.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                              Rating: 3.5 out of 5
                                                              Series book: Yes
                                                      Will I read the next book: Yes

Look at the title of  this book. Right, now look at the synopsis. Does that make you wanna read it? Kind of. Should you read it? It wouldn't be a complete waste of time. The book wasn't perfect, but it was fun. It was kind of long though,  without much movement plot-wise. Basically a really long intro to the series so I feel like it should have been shorter. But it was a fun easy book and I would definitely recommend it. 

The writing was great. So great, that it made me wanna read the next book. Even though the plot went nowhere and some of the characters borderline on childish. Somehow, Jones' writing made it easy to ignore all that and enjoy the book. Even if the pace was slow. Even if the characters were silly and childish. And I'm not saying it was so amazing that I read it in one sitting. I didn't. I read it in three days, which is a long time for me. It was hard to get into, but not unbearable.

Okay, so, the plot. So it wasn't completely unexpected. It really wasn't progressing at all through-out the story. I mean, the big question of "Hey, where are my parents?" was kind of answered, but that was the only mystery solved. It was easy to stay involved, because of the humor, but I don't know. I feel like without it, it would have been hard to stay involved. There wasn't something really surprising at the end. Not exactly a plot twist, but a definite surprise. I think almost anyone would enjoy this fun, easy, read.

Like I've mentioned before, the characters were silly, almost childish. But I enjoyed the banter between Glitch and Brooke. But they, like all the other characters could be easily forgotten. Like, you know, when you read a book, you finish it, you start to think about it again, and you realize that you've forgotten most of the characters names but not their personalities? Yeah, I just finished the book like two hours ago, and I forgot Brooke's name. I had to look her up. I am ashamed of myself to be completely honest. 

There is a love triangle in this book, just not the one you think. You're thinking hey, Cameron, Jared, and Lorelie, Love Triangle Alert! And there is, just not with them. It's more of a semi-love-triangle between Cameron, Brooke, and Glitch. Jared was your typical, supernatural love interest. And totally swoon worthy. “You intoxicate me, Lorelei McAlister. You will be my downfall.”  When he said stuff like that I died. I know it's cliche, but come on! Does that not make you drool? Fine, it may be just me, but omigosh swoon

“That boy needs a hobby."
"Stalking is a hobby."
"So is serial killing.”

“If Cameron kidnaps you, kills you, then buries your lifeless body in a shallow grave in the desert where your remains lay decomposing for several decades until they're accidentally discovered by some guy on a journey to awaken his spirit at the Salinas Pueblo Missions, can I have your iMac?" 
I gaped at her. "You've really thought this out.
"I love your iMac."
"I love my iMac too, and you're not getting her."
"But you'll be decomposing.”

“I may as well cut my losses and make a hasty exit while I still had enough self-esteem to walk upright. Crawling was so demoralizing” 

“Man, that woman was quick when she wanted to be. But put her behind the wheel of a Buick...” 

“I've been thinking," Brooklyn said as I gawked at the god sitting next to me, "if you get all lovey-dovey and decide to elope to Las Vegas where Jared uses his powers to clean up at the poker tables and you guys buy a mansion in the Manzano Mountains with twenty-seven rooms and decide - because you're rich and all - to buy a new computer, can I have your iMac then?" 
"Um, no, you're not getting my iMac." 
"Dang.” 

SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Plot: 3 out of 5  Okay, but no real progression
Characters: 3  out of 5 Forgettable but undeniably funny
Romance: 4 out of 5 Cliche, but Jared was still swoon worthy, if a little dark
Writing: 4 out of 5 I think it must be magical. It kept me in the story when the plot didn't
Overall Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Rated G So clean, your grandma could read this book

No comments:

Post a Comment