Super Dark by Tanith Morse

For fans of Stephenie Meyer comes a chilling love story that will have you hooked from the very first page.

Darkness stalks seventeen-year-old Sam Harper. Ten years ago on Halloween night, grotesque creatures snatched her best friend Elliot and Sam narrowly escaped with her life. Now a decade on, the police investigation has ground to a halt and Elliot’s whereabouts remains a mystery. 

Traumatized by her ordeal, Sam finds it hard to make friends. She is mistrustful of authority and changed schools more times than she cares to remember. To her, the world is cruel and unforgiving. 

Then she meets the enigmatic Lee Weaver. With his gorgeous face and magnetic presence, he turns heads wherever he goes. Sam has never wanted anyone as much as she wants Lee, but there are things about the alluring stranger that don’t add up, leading Sam to ask unsettling questions about her past. Soon she discovers the boy of her dreams is keeping a terrible secret: one that threatens to destroy everything Sam holds dear . . 

Super Dark is a seductive love story that will keep you guessing right until the final page ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler alert! Spoilers are marked in pink. Just highlight to see them.
                                                              Rating: 4.5 out of 5
                                                              Series book: Yes
                                                    Will I read the next book: Yes
First off, let me say I saw little to no resemblance to Stephanie Myers books. I mean, I haven't read all of them, because most of them seem like pointless love stories.. But whatever back to Super Dark. I loved this book. The title kind of turned me off at first, but then I started reading and was just amazed. Oh yeah, also, I knew Lee was Lee was Elliot the whole time. Just saying.
The writing was different than what I'm used to, because it's by a British author. But I just loved it. She actually used the word swanky. Swanky. Otherwise there was lots of references to other literature and I loved how they explained irony and imagery and you could tell this author was pretty educated. Otherwise the back-story of all the characters were pretty well thought out, which is always welcome.
I'm gonna keep going back to this, but you see that "For fans of Stephenie Meyer"? Ignore that. When you see that you are just gonna think "This is gonna be soooo predictable." LIE. Other than the obvious Lee-Elliot connection I thought I knew what was going on, but then it was just like what's going on? This is new. Because there was a completely new type of Paranormal. So if you get to reading and think you know whats going on..Read on. Because you know nothing.
Like I said, the characters had back-stories. Not just Sam and Lee had them, but Becky, one of her friends and a minor character had a pretty depressing background and was actually pretty deep of a character. I feel like the main character, Sam, was kind of a bleep sometimes just because of how she talked to her mom even while she was lying to her. I mean she was lying for a good reason but don't be a total bleep at the same time. And then she would avoid her friends so she didn't have to tell them about her secret boyfriend that Becky had dips on. I mean c'mon. First you totally steal a model from her then you don't even tell her. You give her hope. But secretly your crushing it.
The romance was hot and cold. The reason for that isn't explained until the end, but up until that point I was pretty annoyed. It was barely a romance really, and when it was it wasn't really something to root for. He's just like "I love you and totally understand you" and then the next second he's all "Let me drive you home*mean voice*" That was intensely annoying and I really hope it will be better in the next book.
SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing: 5 out of 5
Plot: 5 out of 5 
Characters: 5  out of 5   
Romance: 3 out of 5 
Overall Rating: 4.5  out of 5 
Rated G Some kissing

No comments:

Post a Comment