The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pink highlighting are spoilers, just highlight over them to see them                    
                                                            Rating: 5 of 5 stars
                                                              Series book: Yes
                                                  Will I read the next book: Yes
“Did you know...you make me so happy that sometimes I actually forget to breath? I'll be looking at you, and my chest will get so tight...and it's like, the only thought in my head is how much I want to reach over and kiss you.” 


I know I don't usually start my reviews with quotes, but does that not make you wanna drop everything and read this book? Like yesterday? I can't even describe in words how much I loved this book. But it was so heavy, emotional wise. Like I am done. With life. 
The writing in this book was amazing. Flashback to fifth grade language arts guys, just a warning. You know when you were learning about how to write a story? And you know there has to be a plot, a climax, blah, blah, and the characters had to have a character arch? These had that. They actually developed throughout the book. I know that could be part of the character part of the review, but it takes skill to be able to write a character like that. Also, it takes alot in a book to make me cry, and I cried like five times during The Darkest Minds. It was just so, so great. See, words have failed me it was so great.
You know, I came into The Darkest Minds I thought I knew what I was getting into. I had this whole story line in my head for how the story would go. I was so bleeping wrong. Every time I flipped a page it was just like "WHAT? No." I mean, that's an exaggeration. It wasn't every page obviously, but man, there was just alot of surprises and action at every turn. It was just perfect. I wasn't surprised when Clancy turned out to be  evil. Totally saw that coming.  
Oh, the characters. They were just amazing. Like I said, they really developed throughout the whole story. Like Ruby. She started out all weak and couldn't stand up for herself and was full of self-hatred. But by the end she was kick-ass. And they all had such lovable personalities. Like Zu. Omigosh, she sounded adorable and I just loved her. She was all like I don't deserve the pretty dress, but you know she said it without talking. But she totally did. She was so sweet. And Chubs was all cold at first but he warmed up and turned out to be a total hero and he was also really really deep. But the best of all, Liam. Liam. Wow. Loooooved him. He was perfect. Definition of sweet.
Like I said, Liam was perfect. PERFECT. So, of course the romance was too. Liam's a hero. But like all hero's he must have a fatal flaw. He blamed himself for life. Like, if a bomb went off across the country, he would somehow find a way to blame himself. But despite that, he was just so sweet and I was totally swooning every time there was a scene between him and Ruby. He was just what Ruby needed. And thats exactly what a perfect relationship is. He helped her become strong, and she helped him feel less guilty about his past. But I started sobbing uncontrollably when she erased his memories. Like Why Ruby?!?!? I understand you wanna protect him but you can't be without him he's too perfect and swoon worthy and NOOO!
Favorite Quotes:
“The Darkest Minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces.”  (Ahhhhh they said the title)
“Let's carpe the hell out of this diem.” 
“When a girl cries, few things are more worthless than a boy” 
“But hey, what's life without a little adversity?"
That had to have been the fakest attempt at optimism since my fourth grade teacher tried reasoning that we were better off without the dead kids in our class because it'd mean more turns on the playground swings for the rest of us.” 
“I pulled myself from his mind, day by day, piece by piece, memory by memory, until there was nothing of Ruby left to weigh him down or keep him bound to my side..” 
SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing: 5 out of 5
Plot: 5 out of 5 
Characters: 5  out of 5   
Romance: 5 out of 5 
Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 
Rated G Some kissing, some violence

1 comment:

  1. One of the greatest feelings in the world at least the book blogging world, is starting a book with high expectations and then being able to finish said book, with an even greater amount of excitement. I'm not going to beat around the bush. The Darkest Minds rocked! From start to finish my hands were glued to this book and my eyes to the pages. I couldn't get enough!
    best medical transportation miami visit site

    ReplyDelete