Angel by L.A. Weatherly

Angel (Angel, #1)Angels are all around us: beautiful, awe-inspiring, irresistible.

Ordinary mortals yearn to catch a glimpse of one of these stunning beings and thousands flock to The Church of Angels to feel their healing touch.
But what if their potent magnetism isn't what it seems?
Willow knows she's different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars.
Willow has a gift. She can look into people's futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. But she has no idea where she gets this power from.

Until she meets Alex…
Alex is one of the few who know the truth about angels. He knows Willow's secret and is on a mission to stop her.
The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible.
In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pink highlighting are spoilers, just highlight over them to see them                    
                        Rating:  4  of 5 stars
                        Series book: Yes
                        Will I read the Next: Yes
It's rare that a 500 page book can keep my attention until the end. Angel did. From the first few chapters I was hooked and didn't wanna stop reading. Overall it was a good book, a rare hit in the Angel genre.

So I usually can't handle a book told in more than one POV.  This was one of those books that switch POV every chapter between a few main characters, but was bearable only because it was 3rd person and not 1st. The different POVs are Alex, Willow, Raziel (Angel and Willow's dad), and Jonah (Church-goer at the Church of Angels). Otherwise it was a little slow, which made it a little harder to read.

The plot was predictable. I Hate predictability.  It was predicable in the fact that Cully was gonna be the betrayer at the Angel Killer camp and Raziel was willows dad. Also I felt like the book itself could have been shorter just because the plot itself felt short. Go on road trip. Hide away. Final battle. Finish. Maybe 300 pages. But 500? No, thanks.  So in all a little boring and predictable. Not a good combo.

With not many characters to go on I'm gonna do my best reviewing this part. For the majority of the story it was just Alex and Willow. I really loved how they both had there own character archs and steadily grew throughout the book. Jonah also had that. My favorite character would have to be Alex because he had to really learn to accept his past and be more open and even through all the crap they had to go through during the book, he still did that. I also loved how Willow was super weird (and even referred to himself as Queen Weird) but was cool with it and confident with her own personality.

It was really insta-romance inside their heads...but didn't become open until way late in the book. Like a few days after they met, they both started falling in love with eachother. And when they did finally kiss it was like instantly intense, going from kissing, to touching, to "te amo, insert name here" (isn't it so cute they said I love you in spanish first?) , to I wanna be with you forever and couldn't live without you. Seriously. Intense. It was still a really cute romance though. They watched stars and told stories about their childhoods and you could see the drastic change in Alex by the end. I really loved his race to get to the church on time at the very end. It was the perfect cliche.

Favorite quotes: 
"It's so sexy how you know all of this," I said when I could speak again.
"Yeah?" I heard the grin in his voice. "I know the summer constellations, too. Will that get me bonus kisses?"
"I think it might, actually.” 


“He reached across and fingered the pendant; I felt it move against my skin. "Willow, look," He said. "We haven't talked much about what might happen, but...you know that I always want to be with you, right? I mean--no matter what."
And I had known it; I felt it every time he held me--but even so, actually hearing the words made my heart catch. "I want that, too," I said. "Always, Alex.” 


“His thumb moved slowly over my cheek. "All of this. Having you. It's worth- anything” 

SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing:  4 out of 5
Plot: 3.5 out of 5
characters: 5 out of 5  
Romance: 4 out of 5
Overall: 4 out of 5

PG Violence and kissing. Lots of kissing.

No comments:

Post a Comment