Taken at Dusk by C.C Hunter

Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
Step into Shadow Falls, a camp for teens with supernatural powers.  Here friendship thrives, love takes you by surprise, and our hearts possess the greatest magic of all.



Kylie Galen wants the truth so badly she can taste it. The truth about who her real family is, the truth about which boy she’s meant to be with—and the truth about what her emerging powers mean.  But she’s about to discover that some secrets can change your life forever…and not always for the better.



Just when she and Lucas are finally getting close, she learns that his pack has forbidden them from being together.  Was it a mistake to pick him over Derek? And it’s not just romance troubling Kylie. An amnesia-stricken ghost is haunting her, delivering the frightful warning, someone lives and someone dies. As Kylie races to unravel the mystery and protect those she loves, she finally unlocks the truth about her supernatural identity, which is far different—and more astonishing—than she ever imagined.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pink highlighting are spoilers, just highlight over them to see them                    
                        Rating:  5 of 5 stars
                        Series book: Yes
                        Will I read the Next: Yes
Holy crap. Holy bleeping crap.This is my second time reading, but I guess I forgot the ending. C. C. Hunter is getting better at cliff hangers. Who's the new spirit? What the hell is a Chameleon(not the lizard the supernatural. THATS WHAT KYLIE IS!)? How will Kylie and Daniel going to find answers together? DANIELS DEAD and he's leaving...I thought. Will Kylie stay with Lucas? I hope so.. Such a great book! I've already bought the next one and can't wait to read it!
The writing was mostly good. It kinda went back to how cussing was in the first book(AKA cussing without cussing). I mean, clean language is fine with me. But the word "friggin'" just sounds annoying and wrong. It even looks wrong. B with an itch is also back...that always annoys me. If you're gonna call someone a bitch...do it. Please and thank you. The rest of the writing was smooth and easy to read for the most part. 
So the plot was mostly focused on Kylie finding out what she is an avoiding getting kidnapped or killed by the rogue vamps. Then there was finding out what was up with the new ghost and what her message "someone lives and someone dies"meant. As far as the ghost was concerned halfway through the book, after a few of her visions, you could probably guess who she was and what happened to her. I did but it wasn't super obvious. But "someone lives and someone dies" keeps you guessing(and nervous) all the way up to the end. There are a few false alarms that get you heart pumping and then the end is pretty sad Ellie dies, Derek lives 
Kylie was still a little whiny during this book. But that was pretty easy to ignore when you realize the rest of the characters are just amazing. My favorite character would again have to be Perry because he really stepped up and went after Miranda and was so cute and romantic. You could really tell he grew up alot in this book.  And I really loved when Sara came. First Lucas says he's Kylie's boyfriend, and SEX basically starts flashing in Kylie's mom's eyes. Then Derek's mom comes and says "I think they're sweet on eachother" and TWO starts flashing in her mom's eyes and I can see Kylie just facepalming like "This was such a disaster." It was just pretty amazing.
I swear if Kylie doesn't end  up with Lucas at the end of this series I'm gonna flip. I admit Lucas was a little rude openly admitting he wants Kylie to be a werewolf, but he also said it didn't matter what she was and it was just so cute. You could see a different side of Lucas in this book because he was more open with his feelings in public. The romance was less physical in this book and more just sweet. Derek is gonna ruin everything if he keeps trying to change Kylie's mind. I mean, he doesn't do anything like"pick me not him" but he tells her multiple times that he cares for her and it really sweet. But call me cold-hearted, I don't care. Lucas is better. TEAM LUCAS!
Favorite quotes:
“I’d kill for you, Kylie Galen. But more than that, I’d die for you.”
She felt a tear roll down her cheek. “You’d better not die on me, Lucas Parker.”
“Kylie looked up towards the sky. "Sometimes I just wish Heaven wasn't so far away.”
“You must be Sara." Lucas extended his hand.
Sara slipped her hand into Lucas's. "That's me. And you are?"
"Lucas Parker, Kylie's boyfriend."
Boyfriend? Kylie's breath caught. The water slipping down her throat went down the wrong pipe. She started coughing so hard, the sound bounced around the high beams of the dining hall. If that wasn't bad enough, her mom, who'd been sipping on a diet soda, did the same thing.
Crap! If there was one person in the dining hall who hadn't already stared at them, they did now.” 

SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing:  4 out of 5
Plot: 5 out of 5
characters: 5 out of 5  
Romance: 5 out of 5
Overall: 5 out of 5

PG-13 minor suggestive comments and violence

No comments:

Post a Comment