Flight by Alyssa Rose Ivy

Flight (The Crescent Chronicles, #1)Sometimes you just have to take flight.

A summer in New Orleans is exactly what Allie needs before starting college. Accepting her dad’s invitation to work at his hotel offers an escape from her ex-boyfriend and the chance to spend the summer with her best friend. Meeting a guy is the last thing on her mind—until she sees Levi.

Unable to resist the infuriating yet alluring Levi, Allie finds herself at the center of a supernatural society and forced to decide between following the path she has always trusted or saving a city that might just save her.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Rating:  4 of 5 stars
                        Series book: Yes
                        Will I read the Next: Yes
First, ya'll need to know this is for mature readers only. It's more NA than YA. I really liked this book. It was well written,  well paced, and full of romance.Flight introduces a whole new set of supernaturals (new shifters).  I can't wait to read the next book.
In the beginning I was a little reluctant bout the writing. It just seemed a little blunt and choppy at first. But once the story go started it was a lot smoother and hard to put down.I really liked how it had details about New Orleans as well as the normal stuff. But the scenery didn't overwhelm the plot. One thing that really annoyed me was how it was almost all romance while I feel like the blurb promised more paranormal.
The plot was pretty well paced if a little predictable. The story itself went by pretty fast but I could kind of see some of those "twists" coming. I kind of wished there had been more action throughout the book and not just at the climax. I also think that a little more explanation of the paranormals could have help the story. I think if your really not into a romantic book then you probably shouldn't read this, but if you're into a quick, intense book then you've found it.
Levi was such a snob. In Flight there is a sort of social hierarchy. These crow-shifter things(what Levi is) are on the top. Vampire are on the bottom. It's all see ya later sparkles, fly boy is in town. I thought Levi would be more accepting of all the social classes because he showed a sweeter side earlier in the book, but he was such a snob it wasn't even funny. Otherwise the characters were all right. Some didn't really have as much depth as they could have. Namely Jess, but she was written out pretty quickly. But she had just gotten some depth as soon as she left New Orleans which is kind of like too little too late. Allie was an ideal main character for the most part, I just felt like she overwhelmed some pretty obvious signs.
 Like I said, this book was mostly romance. And not just any romance. R-Rated romance. I felt like it was pretty nice for the most part, even if Levi was a little controlling and jerkish. It started with Allie trying and failing at playing hard to get, and pretty much denying anything official up until the very end. I feel like it would have been better if she had stopped saying "it's just for fun." But also having broken up with her last boyfriend because he wasn't the One. And without giving anything away, let me say I totally saw what happened at the end coming. That little trick Levi tried? Totally called it.
Favorite quotes:
“Innocent tourists? You make me sound like the big bad wolf.”
“And you’re not?” I questioned.
“Only if you’re Red Riding Hood,” he said flirtatiously.
“Wow, that’s original.” 
“I realized he had my car keys.“Hey, where did you get those?”“We found your purse at the Dairy Queen.”“How did you know it was there?”“The GPS.” He smirked, seeming more like the Jared I knew.“You have a GPS tracker on my car?” 
SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing:  4.5 out of 5
Plot: 4 out of 5
characters: 4 out of 5  
Romance: 3.5 out of 5
Overall: 4 out of 5
Rated R: *eyebrow raise* need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment