Legacy by C.J. Daugherty

Legacy (Night School, #2)
In the last year, Allie's survived three arrests, two breakups and one family breakdown. The only bright point has been her new life at Cimmeria Academy. It's the one place she's felt she belongs. And the fact that it's brought dark-eyed Carter West into her life hasn't hurt either. But far from being a safe haven, the cloistered walls of Cimmeria are proving more dangerous than Allie could have imagined. The students and faculty are under threat, and Allie's family - from her mysterious grandmother to her runaway brother - are at the centre of the storm. Allie is going to have to choose between protecting her family and trusting her friends. But secrets have a way of ripping even the strongest relationships apart...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pink highlighting are spoilers, just highlight over them to see them                    
Cuss words are in reds
                        Rating:  3.5 of 5 stars
                        Series book: Yes
                        Will I read the Next: Maybe
Man, I hate second books. I don't actually hate the book itself, just how the second books always changes everything. In good and bad ways. Good way: The heroine/hero usually becomes significantly more kick-ass (with the exception of Twilight). Bad way: The relationship you are rooting for almost always goes wrong. Good way: way more action. I liked the book but not as much as I thought I would.
The writing didn't really get better or worse compared to Night School. The counting wasn't as huge a theme as in the first one, but in the beginning I thought Magpies would kind of replace it as a big theme(One for sorrow, two for joy, etc). In thought this because in the beginning there was this whole nursery rhyme and Zoe made this whole big deal about there only being one... Whatever. I was just a little disappointed by that. But other than that there weren't any huge problems with the writing.
The plot was super exciting. Well paced for the most part but I thought towards the end it started dragging a little. Every time you expected something to happen, nothing did. And I feel lie when she finally met Lucinda, it was way to anti-climatic. Everyone acts like she's this intimidating, powerful woman and all you see in a grey-haired woman telling Allie her hair was horrible and tattoos aren't cool when you get older. And then she says "shh can't talk here. People want changes in the world..blah...blah...blah." Nothing we didn't already know. And because the whole focus of the story was to find the spy in the school, and they didn't even get close! I honestly don't  think any problems actually got solved at all.
Another change I didn't like from the first book . The characters. Carter got moody (or more moody). Jo went bat-shit crazy. And Allie got so whiny. Allie still got pretty kick-ass because she was learning how to fight in Night School but she was still somewhat of a crybaby. I mean she did have some serious problems, but she cried more about gossip and boy issues than she did about a psycho trying to kidnap her. "Oh, what? Some killer is trying to kidnap me? Who cares? People are saying mean things about me ='( " I'm sorry but priorities? Get them straight. My favorite character was Zoe. She's a new character and Allie's partner in Night School. She's a little adorably violent 13 year old genius. She's the character that kept the book light and added the most funny moments.
The romance was awful. A-W-F-U-L.  I'm gonna block out this part again so that I don't spoil anyone. But if you still wanna read it just know that they aren't huge spoilers. Allie and Carter aren't together for half of this book. My reaction: FML. Then Allie's just like "Oh, maybe I am attracted to this guy who bleeping attacked me during our last date." My reaction: What are you smoking? You don't forgive someone like that! You plot revenge! Or plot their death. Not snogging him. So there you go. The main problem with this book.
SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing:  5 out of 5
Plot: 3 out of 5
characters: 4 out of 5  
Romance: 2 out of 5
Overall: 3 out of 5

PG-17 Sexual comments, an almost X-rated scene, partial nudity,violence

No comments:

Post a Comment