The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason

The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)Evaline Stoker and Mina Holmes never meant to get into the family business. But when you’re the sister of Bram and the niece of Sherlock, vampire hunting and mystery solving are in your blood. And when two society girls go missing, there’s no one more qualified to investigate.

Now fierce Evaline and logical Mina must resolve their rivalry, navigate the advances of not just one but three mysterious gentlemen, and solve murder with only one clue: a strange Egyptian scarab. The stakes are high. If Stoker and Holmes don’t unravel why the belles of London society are in such danger, they’ll become the next victims.

____________________
So this book caught my eye at first glance.  I loved the cover and that's what drew me in.  Then I saw this: A Stoker & Holmes Novel.  This got me thinking and I was like, "Stoker and Holmes.  Like Bram Stoker and Sherlock Holmes."  So I read the little blurb and found our the it was about Bram Stoker's sister and Sherlock Holmes's niece.  I was ecstatic because I love Bram Stoker and Sherlock Holmes.  I've only seen the movies and the shows, but I really want to read the books.

So this books alternates between Miss Holmes and Miss Stoker's point of view.  Normally I hate it when books alternate between point of views.  It used to bug the crap out of me, but over the years I've grown to not mind it.  I found it interesting how these two girls were so very different from one another, but at the same time they seemed to be going through the same thing.  They both feel the pressure of society.  It's hard for them to get along at first, but soon they sort of band together to take down the mysterious Ankh.
The Ankh has been taking girls and killing them and making it look like suicides.  The girls have to find the Ankh and put a stop to it all, but they soon find that they are in way over their heads.  Time travel, raising a goddess that wants nothing more than to see the destruction of the world, and of course boys that seem to keep getting in their way.  
Mina Holmes is exactly like her uncle and Father.  She had the Holmes wit about her and she is very clever.  She can also come off as rude and arrogant which is one reason why the girls don't get along at first.  Evaline thinks that she's just too stuck up, and Mina thinks that Evaline is just another Victorian lady that only cares about parties and boys.  But they learn that their first thoughts of each other are wrong about each other.
Now onto the boys.  May favorite part of doing the reviews.  So let's start with the mysterious Pix.  So there is something about Pix that is just appealing to Miss Stoker.  She tries to deny it as all of have done at some point in our lives about a guy or guys.  Pix is sort of a bad boy.  He's mysterious, dangerous, and he seems to live on the wild side.  Then there is Mr. Grayling who works for Scotland Yard.  I'm not sure about him yet, but whenever there is a scene with him and Miss Holmes I find myself biting my lower lip, so I take that as I like him... a lot.  Last bot not least there is Dylan.  You can tell that Dylan doesn't belong in this era, and you find that he is not.  You find out that he has traveled all the way back in time from 2016.  Miss Holmes is fascinated by him, and I can completely understand why.  She needs answers and is a very curious girl.  I know I like him with Miss Holmes.  Whenever they have a scene together I keep thinking:
   I highly recommend this book.  It is an excellent read, and especially if you're a Sherlock fan.  It had me hooked from the beginning and i found myself unable to put it down at night.  I hope there's going to be a second one.  It was left open for one, but I have been able to find anything on it yet so I have my fingers crossed that there is one.
Overview:
Rating: Five Stars
Author: Colleen Gleason
Publisher: Chronicle Books 
First Published: August 16th, 2013
Pages:  356 
Series Book: Not Sure Yet
Will I Read The Next One:  It There Is Another One
~ Ariadne

No comments:

Post a Comment