Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs

Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls, #1)Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.

_________________________________
You know me can't resist anything that has to with Greek mythology.  Plus I love Tera's books.  The first book I read by her was either Forgive My Fins or Oh. My. Gods.  I'll review those later.  I found this book soon after I read one of the two books above.  I knew I would like it right away.
So this book is about three sisters that don't even know the others exist.  They sort of accidentally stumble onto one another.  Gretchen has been killing monsters all her life.  She's known that her destiny was to kill monsters and send them back to the abyss.  She also knows that she is a descendent of the Gorgon Medusa.  Gretchen is the bad ass sister.  She can kick some major butt, and can take down almost any monster there is.  She's got to be my favorite sister.
Grace is the smart sister.  She's a straight A student type.  She's geeky and nice.  She's not so great around boys.  She's like me.  She gets tongue tied around them.  She gets excited when she finds Gretchen, but she also freaks out when she sees the monsters.  I would too if I saw a giant Minotaur in downtown San Francisco.  After she finds out a little more she comes to terms with it.  This is Grace except for maybe the desperate for love part.

Greer is my least favorite sister.  She's to preppy for me, and too snobbish.  Every time I read a chapter from her point of view I read it in that annoying girl voice   Maybe she'll mellow out in the second book.  Greer doesn't want to accept her destiny like Grace and Gretchen have.  She likes her life, and doesn't want anything to disrupt it.  She sort of comes to terms with it at the very end of the book.  This was me: 
  Yes this is my second Chandler Bing gif of the post.  I love FRIENDS what can I say?
I liked this book because it was a different twist on the Medusa myth.  I always felt really bad for Medusa because she got the short stick.  For those of you who don't know the myth let me give you the short version of the myth.  Medusa was once a very beautiful woman.  She was also a priestess of Athena.  She loved her goddess and had sworn off all men.  Every man wanted her, but when she took her oath they had no choice, but to leave her alone.  All the men backed off except one.  Poseidon, god of the seas.  He went to the temple and raped Medusa on the temple floor.  She prayed to Athena to protect her, but all she did was turn her into a monster that turned men to stone.  I always felt like Medusa got the short end because she couldn't help that she was being raped, and that Athena should have taken pity on her.
In this book though she was the guardian of the door to the abyss along with her two sisters.  She also had daughters and their daughters had daughters.  These daughters carried on the tradition of Medusa and her sisters.  It was always three girls that protected the world.  I was glad that Medusa wasn't portrayed as a monster in the book.
The boys were dreamy as they always are in the books.  I liked Nick the best.  I liked how he got under Gretchen's skin and how cocky he was.  Milo, well I didn't really get a vibe from him, but he does seem kind of dreamy.  I'm waiting to see more of Milo in the next book.  I also want to know what's up with Thane, he's Grace's brother, he's kind of quiet and mysterious.  I want to know what he's hiding. 
This book is a great read for really anyone.  Mythology geeks like myself or anyone who just loves a good book filled with mystery and adventure.

Favorite Quotes:

“From the necks up... well, whoever said two heads are better than one never met a hydra.”  


“Monsters have the worst taste in women.”

“Kevlar wrist cuffs in place, smoke bombs in left cargo pocket, zip ties in the right, and my handy-dandy, military-grade, metal detector-defying, twin APS daggers snug in their sheaths and hidden inside my steel-toe Doc Martens. Nothing like a well-stocked pair of black cargoes to make me feel girly.”

“Trying to will yourself bigger boobs?”

Overview:
Rating: Five Stars
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
First Published: September 6th, 2011
Pages: 345
Series Book: Yes
Will I Read The Next One: Yes, yes I will  
~Ariadne  

No comments:

Post a Comment