Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                              Rating: 4.5 out of 5
                                                              Series book: Yes
                                                  Will I read the next book: HELL YEAH
Okay, I love Jennifer Armentrout. I'm kind of sad I didn't know about her books before, but now that I do, I am obsessed. This book is no exception to the greatness that is Armentrout's writing. I know, I know I'm fangirling, it's that amazing. I think my gushing has thoroughly convinced you that Armentrout's writing is nothing less than amazing, so I'll get on to the rest of the review.

The plot was slightly less original than I hoped. But not completely unoriginal. It kind-of reminded me of Vampire Academy. Actually, it's really similar to Vampire Academy. It goes like this: Main character gets taken back to school/community of people of the same paranormal "race" as them. Person is super far behind in some type of training. Gets super hot instructor. A romance starts a-brewing. Romance can't happen! It's forbidden! Romance happens anyway. Then BAM! Something bad happens, some bad news is given. Problem is only sightly solved. End of book. The main difference in this book from Vampire Academy is that Alex is more of a "chosen one" than Rose was. But other than the similarities, the book was amazing.

There isn't much to talk about in the character department. Armentrout usually focuses on a few characters in her books, the main character and the romantic interest, a friend, a frenemy, and a couple of adult figures. My favorite character, other than swoon worthy Aiden, was Caleb. But I guess that was the author's reason for writing up such a lovable best friend for Alex. He was in most of the book but I still wanted him in more. Also Aiden's brother, Deacon, interested me. I feel like he could be really deep if he wasn't always drunk, and I'm hoping I'll see more of both Caleb and Deacon in the next book. 

Oh, Aiden. Why can't you be real? Perfect Boyfriend List!! I was all like "Oh no no no no it can't be forbidden! It can't! Be together forever!" I know, I know it's a little much, but you'll understand once you read the book. He is the definition of swoon. Gray eyes, subtly flirtatious, and undeniably hot. I was clapping like a litte girl on speed whenever Aiden said something sweet. Which, although subtle, was often. 

Favorite Quotes:
“There’s nothing like a bunch of catty teenagers who could either kick your ass halfway across the country or set you on fire with a mere thought. That alone changed who people picked fights with or became friends with. And at the end of the day, it was always good to have a firestarter in your back pocket.” 


“No. I do believe in them. I just think they’re absentee landlords. Right now, they’re probably hanging out somewhere in Las Vegas, screwing showgirls and cheating at poker.” 

“Then I should be relieved to know what I was told an hour ago is false. It wasn't you who yanked a girl--by her hair--out of chair in the common lounge area.” 

“Okay. I’m ready to move onto something else, like practicing with knives or defense against the dark arts. Cool things.”
“Did you just quote Harry Potter?” 


SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Plot: 3 out of 5 Reminded me of Vampire Academy
Characters: 5 out of 5 More, please.
Romance: 5 out of 5   Aiden! Magically become real! *Swooning*

Writing: 5 out of 5 AMAZING! Armentrout is truly talented

Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Rated PG-14 Almost sex scene and sexual comments

No comments:

Post a Comment