City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                              Rating: 5 out of 5
                                                              Series book: Yes
                                                  Will I read the next book: Yep
Oh my gosh, I love that cover. He's just like "Hey, look at my chest it's all tattooed and chiseled and whatnot", and the city and the light coming from behind him..Its amazing. Okay, back to the actually story. The best part of this book would have to be the conversations. The sarcasm and the teasing is so funny, I was laughing out loud (and people looked at me like I was crazy). 
The writing was pretty damn amazing. Some authors aren't very good at making the conversations flow and putting in the right amount of details so we're not totally bored, or totally lost. Like I said, I loved the conversations, especially the ones between Jace and Clary. Jace is all like "I'm sexy and I know it" and Clary's just like "You are but I'm not gonna stroke your ego and tell you that". 
Okay, I'm a HUGE fan of anything paranormal, but especially when its angel related. The "shadowhunters" were a unique twist on part angel part human beings. For one thing, Only the first shadowhunter drank angel blood, then all of his descendants automatically had these cool angel-ish super powers. So really they weren't part angel part human at all, they were totally human (but they had super powers...like superman!). So that was different. Plus there was a huge *PLOT TWIST* at the end that will totally knock you off your feet.
Everyone in City of Bones had unique personalities, even the downworlders(werewolves,vampires, warlocks, etc). I have to say my favorite character is Magnus by far. He's cool in a "I'm gay and if you don't like it, shove off" kind of way. And he had major attitude, which is a huge plus. I was kinda sad he wasn't in this book very much. Jace is a close second, I love how good he is at being arrogant he is.
There was a love triangle. I seriously groaned when I realized this. I hate those things. I always feel bad for the odd one out *who in this case is Simon*. The triangle was between Jace, Clary, and Simon. And I think we all know from the first few pages that there is no competition. But there is that *PLOT TWIST*, so I guess you never know.
Favorite Quotes:
“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.” 
“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.” 
“Don't touch any of my weapons without my permission."
"Well, there goes my plan for selling them all on eBay," Clary muttered.
"Selling them on what?"
Clary smiled blandly at him. "A mythical place of great magical power.” 
“It means 'Shadowhunters: Looking Better in Black Than the Widows of our Enemies Since 1234'.” 
“Don't order any of the faerie food," said Jace, looking at her over the top of his menu. "It tends to make humans a little crazy. One minute you're munching a faerie plum, the next minute you're running naked down Madison Avenue with antlers on your head. Not," he added hastily, "that this has ever happened to me.” 
SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Plot: 5 out of 5 Original...plus there are angel-ish things
characters: 5 out of 5 Magnus is most definitely number 1
Romance 5 out of 5   Jace...Best Boyfriend List...But ewww...love triangle
Overall Rating: 5 out of 5
Rated PG Violence, suggestive comments, and grotesque scenes

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the movie. Following you via Linky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Thanks for the follow!Also following you

      Delete