The Mayfair Moon by J.A. Redmerski

After a nightmarish encounter with a werewolf, seventeen-year-old Adria Dawson loses her sister, but gains the love of a mysterious young man and his legendary family.

Strange and tragic things begin to happen in the small town of Hallowell, Maine: residents come down with an unexplainable ‘illness’ and some disappear. In the midst of everything, Isaac Mayfair is adamant about keeping Adria safe, even from her sister whom he has warned her to stay away from.

As unspeakable secrets unfold all around Adria, impossible choices become hers to bear. Ultimately, no matter what path she takes, her life and the lives of those she loves will be in peril. As she learns about the werewolf world she also learns why her place in it will change the destinies of many.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                              Rating: 2.5 out of 5
                                                              Series book: Yes
                                                  Will I read the next book: Yes
The Mayfair moon had its good and bad points, but mostly bad ones(just being honest, don't hit me!).
It was you typical wereworlf-human-forbidden romance book. Girl moves to new place, Girl sees guy, Guy either stares at her or purposely doesn't look at her, Girl meets bad werewolves/paranormal enemy, Guy saves girl in some way, Guy acts like a dick, Girl gets obsessed, girl and guy get together.
So I'll start with the characters. They weren't bad, but I felt like Adria was too perfect. I mean, she was from this horrible background with an abusive step-dad and a negligent mom, but she never even complained. She's just like "Oh yeah, no its cool that I had a horrible family life and then was attacked by a werewolf! There are starving children in Africa". No, she didn't actually say that. Yes, there are children starving in Africa. I'm just trying to make a point. You can complain about some things, or at-least admit you had it rough. She didn't! Completely selfless  To a certain extent that good, but so selfless that you don't think about your own well-being at all...That's just stupid. As for the other characters, Zia was my absolute favorite. Totally outspoken and funny but not in a bitchy way.  Isaac was weird..Not normal werewolf weird. But like "Oh I might look like a man slut but I'm actually super amazing and I'll be super protective over you as soon as I lay eyes on you". Man slut as in he has girls all over him. Literally. But the book gives an ok explanation for that. But still, gross. 
The plot was slightly different than I thought it would be. Instead of Adria being immediately considered weak, they say she smells like "controlled-power", what does that even mean? So that was different. Otherwise, it was predictable. And sorta boring. Kind-of like that super popular vampire movie that shall not be mentioned.*cough* Twilight Sucks *cough*(No, I'm kidding, Twilight only slightly sucked).
The writing was deadly. Reading it made me want to fall down dead. When writing a werewolf book you have to be able to write scary. That first werewolf attack was so not scary. The best writing was maybe the fight scenes at the end(there were very few redeeming qualities about Redmerski's writing, this was one of them). But for the most part it was just awkward. Reading a book should not be awkward! 
The romance was too quick, too easy. Not believable at all. And I'm just gonna slap this comment in right here: If strangers offer you a ride, even if one of them goes to your school and one is super hot, don't get in the car. Ever heard of "Stranger Danger" Adria? Hmmm? Guess not. Oh, and some more advice, don't fall in love so quickly! It said in the book multiple times that Adria had "Built up walls" but it really didn't seem like it. She became infatuated with Isaac so quickly, I just don't think that's possible for someone with "walls". But hey, that's just my opinion.
Favorite quotes:
“I tried to will them with my super mental powers so he’d put them around my waist, but apparently I had no super mental powers.” 
“Time is cruel like life. It slows down so that you can truly experience the worst moments of it. Only if you make it through them do you get to say ‘It all happened so fast.” 

SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Plot: 2 out of 5 Predictable
characters: 2 out of 5 Ehhh Zia was the best, I think
Romance 3 out of 5  Oh hey I see you stranger..Lets make-out and be madly in love! Kay? Kay.
Overall Rating: 2.33 out of 5
PG-13 Violence, sexual comments, a couple make-out or kissing scenes. Nothing Major.

No comments:

Post a Comment