A Spy Like Me by Laura Pauling

Seventeen-year-old Savvy Bent expects magic on her first date with Malcolm - in Paris! Except over a picnic of sparkling cider and strawberry tortes, he gets shot at. That's only the beginning. From the top of the Eiffel Tower to the depths of the catacombs, Savvy must sneak, deceive, and spy to save her family and friends and figure out whether Malcolm is one of the bad guys before she completely falls for him.

A SPY LIKE ME is a cat and mouse adventure full of spies, a nefarious pastry chef, and a completely innocent teen girl. Well, not completely innocent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------








                                                            Rating: 3 of 5 stars
                                                              Series book: Yes
                                        Will I read the next book: Um, maybe
Spy books are generally a hit or miss, but this one's hard to decide. On the hit side, I liked the plot and the pacing. On the miss side, the writing wasn't super smooth. I had to read certain things like five times before I got it. But there was something about it that made it hard to put down.

The writing was confusing. I feel like it jumped from subject to subject and to be honest Savvy's thoughts were all over the place. But the pacing made up for the confusion here and there. A spy book has to go fast, if not then it's not as action-y as it's supposed to be. This one was like snap and your done, but in a good way. I also looooooved the first chapter (hot guy in his underwear, any takers? Yeah I see your hand over there raise it high!) and how it related back to the last chapter. It was one of those books where everything was resolved, which was refreshing from like every other book out there right now. I wouldn't exactly call this YA though, it's more like childrens fiction with a little bit of romance.

The plot was original. As original as a spy book can be anyway. And when I thought I understood where the plot was going, I was smacked in the face with this twist Secret Societies? Really? That just slipped into cliche chosen one territory! Leave it out next time! I feel like A Spy Like Me was kind of a shorter, more confusing version of the Gallagher Girl series (Which I had an obsession with a few years back) but in Paris. And Savvy really wasn't the best spy. If the plot had been consistent and that particular plot twist hadn't been used, the book would be more enjoyable and more original.

The characters were paper thin. By that I mean the didn't jump off the paper at me. Their personalities were almost non-existent and their role in the book jumped from place to place. My biggest pet peeve from this book: Not everyone can be a spy. Especially if their barely-there personalities don't warrant the spy-like actions. I couldn't even picture Malcolm, which sucked because he was supposed to be the hot-six-pack-having-guy.

The romance didn't completely take over the book, which I was okay with. But when it was in the story it was totally confusing. One minute Savvy's like glaring at him from a chair Like tied to a chair and the next they're getting all "hot and heavy" (Savvy's words not mine) on the table. Um, what? Pick a feeling Savvy! You can't like him one minute, hate him the next, then be totally in love with him the next. I mean I know he's hot and all but have some will power! I mean I know teenage hormones are all over the place, but not like that

Favorite quotes:
"You are hereby sentenced to fifteen minutes of intense embarrassment by sitting in your underwear in public" 

"Kind of like when God created the earth, I imagined. Dad evoked this kind of scary presence when he was in full Spy Games mode."


SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Plot: 3 out of 5 
Characters: 3  out of 5   
Romance: 3 out of 5 
Overall Rating: 3 out of 5 
Rated PG Minor make out scenes, some guns, blood, not so gory violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment