ARC Review: Runes by Ednah Walters

Seventeen-year-old Raine Cooper has enough on her plate dealing with her father’s disappearance, her mother’s erratic behavior and the possibility of her boyfriend relocating. The last thing she needs is Torin St. James—a mysterious new neighbor with a wicked smile and uncanny way of reading her.

Raine is drawn to Torin’s dark sexiness against her better judgment, until he saves her life with weird marks and she realizes he is different. But by healing her, Torin changes something inside Raine. Now she can’t stop thinking about him. Half the time, she’s not sure whether to fall into his arms or run.

Scared, she sets out to find out what Torin is. But the closer she gets to the truth the more she uncovers something sinister about Torin. What Torin is goes back to an ancient mythology and Raine is somehow part of it. Not only are she and her friends in danger, she must choose a side, but the wrong choice will cost Raine her life.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




                                                            Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
                                                              Series book: Yes
                                                      Will I read the next book: Yes
I read the last few paragraphs of Runes like fifty times and then I cussed enough to make my mamma cry. When I first started reading it, the Lux series came to mind. Then I got into the story and there was totally different mythology. But again at the end I was just as frustrated as I was at the end of Opal (Book three of the Lux series). I just wanted to scream. You can't do that! You cannot crush a readers soul at the end of a book like that!! Have I scared you yet? Good. On to the review.
Like I said, this book reminded me of Obsidian from the Lux series. I was pretty reluctant after the first few chapters because of it. Hot neighbor: Check. Single mother: Check.  Hot neighbor is some type of supernatural being and stalks you with his fast superpowers:Check. So the similarities obviously bothered me, but overall the plot was pretty good. I've only read one other book with this particular supernatural and this type of mythology. Basically, the plot was very good but without the similarities it would've been amazing.
I liked how there were other characters in the book other than the main girl and the hot guy. Mainly because they weren't together yet and Raine wasn't single. That's what really bothered me. Here she is, this girl who's supposed to be nice and has a perfect boyfriend/bestfriend thing going on, and she's cheating. Or thinking about cheating. While kissing her boyfriend. It's that kind of annoying heroine that bothers me. No but the other characters were pretty cool. I mean, there  were real problems. They mourned the loss of a friend and had to deal with bad boyfriends. That seemed pretty real to me, which was refreshing.
Not only was the relationship forbidden because the guy was some supernatural being, but also because Raine was dating Eirik, who seems totally in love with her But at the end we find out Eirik likes Cora? What?. Don't get me wrong, I love a good hot guy and he even had a nickname for her ("Freckles"), but I'm not into the whole cheating thing. I feel like if they had just solved that problem earlier, I would have enjoyed it alot more.
SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Plot: 4 out of 5 
Characters: 4  out of 5   
Romance: 3 out of 5 
Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5 (I added an extra bonus point because I just liked the book)
Rated G It was just so clean, there were like five kisses in the whole book

No comments:

Post a Comment