Since You Asked by Maurene Goo

Since You AskedA humorous, debut novel about a Korean-American teenager who accidentally lands her own column in her high school newspaper, and proceeds to rant her way through the school year while struggling to reconcile the traditional Korean values of her parents with contemporary American culture.
--------------------------------------------------
Rating:  4.5 of 5 stars
Series book: No

Ah, finally! A book of the realistic fiction genre I actually enjoyed! Its _actually_ realistic. Imagine that. A slight warning: because I'm not used to reading this genre and I enjoyed this book, the might be a lot of fangirling. Actually it's guaranteed. Read on at your own risk. P.S there won't be a "romance" section in this review.
Being the quick,fun read that it is, Since You Asked was casually written and easy to read. Ha! Picture that. I have no complaints. The author kept it light, but there were still actual relatable problems. My favorite thing? I loved how the writing stayed constant, but still had story progression. My favorite thing? This family is so unperfect. The mom isn't an all super suportive "you do no wrong" storybook type mom. But he also isn't an evil "I hate you so much I need a drink" kind of mom either. She was a normal semi-evil(but not really) over protective and annoying mom. She actually reminded me of my mom except my mom's not asian. But still.  
Er, I don't know how to judge the plot of a realistic fiction. Can I assume it's supposed to be as boring/exciting as real life?  If thats the goal I think Since You Asked was pretty good plot wise. There was no "mean girl" moment where she teams up with all the misfits and defeats the popular kids. There were no impossibly romantic moments. There were a few excitements here and there but nothing too unrealistic. Nothing I couldn't believe would actually happened.
I felt like I could totally connect with Holly. She was super imperfect and I think she really embodied what an actual teen in high school is like. I don't know how "the other side" aka the "popular" kids act in high school but I know that the people I hang out with act just as sarcastic as the supporting characters and it was fun to actually read a book with realistic characters that I think people can actually relate to. I am saying the word "realistic" alot and I know this is the realistic genre... I am just not use to reading this genre so cut me some slack. 
SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing: 5 out of 5
Plot: 5 out of 5
characters: 5 out of 5  
Overall: 5 out of 5

PG minor alcohol consumption

No comments:

Post a Comment