Mystic City by Theo Lawrence

For fans of Matched, The Hunger Games, X-Men, and Blade Runner comes a tale of a magical city divided, a political rebellion ignited, and a love that was meant to last forever. Book One of the Mystic City Novels.

Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Pink highlighting are spoilers, just highlight over them to see them                    
                        Rating:  5 of 5 stars
                        Series book: Yes
                        Will I read the Next: Yes
That was a pretty amazing and somewhat confusing lovestory. I went into this thinking I knew how everything would go. I thought I knew who this mysterious "true love" was. And then I began to doubt myself. Again and Again. So I can tell you one thing...Theo Lawrence is good at keeping you guessing.

At first I wasn't too into the writing. At times it sounded emotionless and at others it sounded super melodramatic. But after you get used to the style, it was easier to read.  I'm just warning you, if you don't like it at first, don't stop reading because its totally worth it. I really loved ow sophisticated everyone from Aeries talked. Even though they are from NYC, in my head they totally sounded British. Not the cool kind of British but like the snobby kind of British. If you know what I mean.

The plot was straight-forward yet confusing. Straight-forward because you know that the Fosters and the Roses are uniting through marriage. Aria can't remember anything because she OD'd on Stic, a drug made of pure mystic energy. The mystics have a political candidate running against the Rose's and the Foster's Candidate. Aria can't pick a side, political intrigue, Mystic magic, forbidden romance, etc. Confusing because you don't know who's on who's side until the end, and even then its a bit of a blur and there are just alot of twists and turns that are kind of hard to keep up with. In this case it wasnt a bad thing because it kept the book interesting.

Aria is just the perfect main character. She doesn't have one set opinion and you could really tell that throughout the story she was developing as she learned more and more about her city. It actually takes a while for her to decide what side she's on. My least favorite character was Kiki. I really thought she was gonna be the loyal best friend who stood by Aria's side. Wrong. She was a spoiled  brat who was just as corrupt as the rest of them. I wanted to reach into the book and smack her. I don't know if that was the authors goal or what. 

The romance is amazing. Because Aria couldn't remember much, it took a while for anything to really get started but once it did it was fantastic. I just loved how even though Aria and *Ahem* a certain male character in this fantastic story (No spoilers on that!) had already fallen in love once, you could see it all unfolding again and it was just so sweet. I can't really say much because of spoilers but....The guy she falls in love with is amazing and I wish he were real so I could have him!

Favorite Quotes:

“Everyone around me is applauding wildly, overjoyed by how quickly something can disappear. Am I the only one who wishes things could come back?” 

“I always knew this story would break my heart” 

SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing:  4.5 out of 5
Plot: 5 out of 5
characters: 4.5 out of 5
Romance: 5 out of 5
Overall: 5 out of 5

PG-Violence, Kissing, Making out

No comments:

Post a Comment