The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

Every girl who had taken the test has died.
The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)Now it's Kate's turn.
It's always been just Kate and her mom - and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld - and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy - until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.
If she fails...
____________________________________
Alright this book is for all my Greek god/Percy Jackson fan's out there.  I love anything that has to do with mythology.  I'm not sure if I've already told you that or not, but it's worth repeating.  I will randomly spout of mythology related things all the live long day.  I think my friends hate me by the time I'm finished.  But I digress....
So Kate is your normal girl, I mean aren't they all normal at first?  Ah, I love how they think they're so normal and then they found out some deep dark secret about themselves that their mother was hiding from them.  Well that's what happens to our girl Kate.  She moves to Eden, her mother's old home town.  Her mother is dying of Cancer by the way.  It was her dying wish.  While Kate is living here she has to finish her last year of high school.  She dropped out to take care of her mom.  It's all really sad and made me cry.  Not a lot, but some parts were really touching.  When she gets there she meets Henry. Well not right away this girl named Ava has to die before she can meet Henry.  Henry makes her a deal to bring Ava back if she spend six months out of every year with him.  This is where the mythology comes in.
You see Henry is Hades, Lord of the Dead.  Yeah doesn't sound like you'd be to attracted to the Lord of the Dead, but let me tell you this boy is fine.  I was like:
He is really sweet and cares about Kate a lot.  Which just makes my little fangirl heart melt.  I couldn't help, but smile.  Now I know you're all probably wondering what Hades/Henry wants Kate to spend six months out of every year with him.  Doesn't he have Persephone?  Well no not really.  He was married to her, but she wasn't happy, fell in love with someone else, and because he loved her so much he let her turn into a mortal and die with him.  I felt really bad for him, and that is why he needs Kate.  He wants to fade away and let his successor take over, but the others don't want him to.  He gives them a hundred years to find him a replacement, and Kate is his last hope.  She has to past these tests though to become his King and wife, but someone wants to kill her.  Will Henry find a replacement or will he fail and fade away.
Kate like I said is a normal teenager, until she goes to Eden Manor to become the next Persephone.  Can she do it?  I think she can or else there wouldn't be a second or third book right?  Ahh those where good books.  I loved them.  Anyways Kate goes to Eden Manor after Ava dies for a second time.  Yeah she didn't really hold up her end of the bargain the first time around so Henry didn't keep up his.  That shoves Kate over the edge and she goes hoping to save her friend.  James, another one of Kate's friends, takes her and tries to talk her out of it.  He has secret feelings for her, but she doesn't know it even though it is totally obvious how he feels for her.  I like James, but I'm Team Henry.  I don't know I seem to always go for the tortured souled kind of characters.  William Herondale, Nico di Angelo, Henry, John, Patch, etc..  There are to many to count.
Kate has to go through so much in this book.  When she tries to get answers everyone around her is like:
I mean they treated her like she was fine China!  No one thought she could handle it, and the whole time your screaming in your head to tell her the damn truth because she could get killed because you guys are being total idiots!  Geez.....
 Other than the Henry, who is totally in love with Kate and really hot, and the mythology this book holds a lot of dark family secrets.  By the end of this book I almost fell out of my seat.  Especially when you find out about her mom.  Ahh, the plot thickens.  Kate fails and now Henry will fade, but her mom just may be her salvation in the way the tests are judged.
Bye the end of the book I was so happy I ran to my mom screaming: 
So I was very happy with the way the book ended.  It wasn't like a cliffhanger or anything which good because I don't think I could have taken any more cliffhangers.  Then I read the second one and there was a cliffhanger.  Then I had to wait, and wait, and wait for the third and final book.  Which I finished months ago, and was very pleased with the ending.  Yep, it was an amazing series.
Overview:
Rating: Five Stars
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen 
First Published: April 19th, 2011 
Pages: 293
Series Book: Yes, there are three, plus a few others that tie in with the series.
Will I Read The Next One: Yes, I have read them all. 
~ Ariadne
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I loooove this book! I literally tore through B&N to find the only signed copy they had XD
    Can't wait for more!
    New follower :)

    ~ Shayenne
    http://bohobooknerd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it to. It is one of my all time favorite books! Thanks for following! :)
    ~ Ariadne

    ReplyDelete