Intuition by Amy A. Bartol

13281637I don’t open my eyes so I can’t see him, but I can smell him. He thickens the air I breathe, choking me with his scent…his aroma. I shiver. I have to resist. If I’m not strong, then I will be relegated to the same fate as this predator whose sickness infects me even now. But now, I crave him and he knows that; he has been counting on my need to end the gnawing pain. How he would savor my surrender. I’m alive, but how much longer will it take until I beg him not to be?
------------------------------------------------------------
Pink highlighting are spoilers, just highlight over them to see them                    
                        Rating:  3  of 5 stars
                        Series book: Yes
                        Will I read the Next: Maybe
Ah, the infamous second book. The book that can make or break a series. Personally, I would call this a break. Don't get me wrong, I love the series. But this book. This book. Okay, that might be a little harsh. But dammit, Russel point of view! Evie leaving Reed! Idiocy, all of it! The love triangle is unbearable, Russell's twang made me wanna jump off a very tall bridge, the length of the book could literally be cut in half if you take out all the crappy parts. That said... No. I really can't say anything good. The beginning was nice, I wish they could have skipped the middle and gone straight to the part with Brennus.

Let me get my English teacher glasses on as we talk about this writing. Ms.Bartol must have some obsession with bad accents. I don't know about you but I can mostly understand it when a person with a strong irish-like accent talks. I mean sure it's hard, but I can do it. Paragraphs of dialog could go by and I would pretty much be reading a one sided conversation. "Oh hey there Brennus what are you up to?" "Hai, Mo chroi. I'm gibber gabber flacken saw. Wonar?" Translation: Hello, my heart. I'm just making myself a peanut butter sandwich. Want one? So yeah, that added with Russell's insufferable uneducated speech patterns, I was thisclose to shredding this book, or scratching out my eyes and getting a lobotomy. And I'm only slightly exaggerating. Isn't that positively depressing?

The one semi redeeming quality of this book! Evie gets kick-ass and there's more Zee. I think I might change my book crush to him. I've always kind of liked him better than Reed. He's not as over-bearing but is still protective. Plus, he's gotta be hot, am I right? Any way back to Evie. She's evolving, finally. She's getting the super strong part down and she's a kick-ass fighter. Partially because of Bruce Lee (nice touch Bartol). I also think that Bruce was the perfect character for this book. He's supposed to represent dangerous temptation, I think. I also think he does one hell of a job.

The romance was...so-so. As I said Reed is getting to be a little like an overprotective parent. He doesn't want her training. He doesn't want her fighting. He doesn't want her to be alone ever. Hell, I would have ran too, bt for entirely different reasons. And then there's Russell. It's called the friendzone. You are in it. Go on somewhere man. She doesn't want you. She has a hot angel boyfriend that will live till infinity and doesn't have a really bad accent. You. Cannot. Compete. And as if we need another hopeless sap in love with Evie. There's Brennus. Facepalm times a thousand.

SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing: 2 out of 5
Plot: 3 out of 5
characters: 4 out of 5  
Romance: 3 out of 5
Overall: 3 out of 5

PG-17 Sexual comments and reference, gruesome violence

No comments:

Post a Comment