Blood Promise by Richelle Mead


5996153Rose Hathaway's life will never be the same. 

The recent attack on St. Vladimir's Academy devastated the entire Moroi world. Many are dead. And, for the few victims carried off by Strigoi, their fates are even worse. A rare tattoo now adorns Rose's neck, a mark that says she's killed far too many Strigoi to count. But only one victim matters . . . Dimitri Belikov. Rose must now choose one of two very different paths: honoring her life's vow to protect Lissa—her best friend and the last surviving Dragomir princess—or, dropping out of the Academy to strike out on her own and hunt down the man she loves. She'll have to go to the ends of the earth to find Dimitri and keep the promise he begged her to make. But the question is, when the time comes, will he want to be saved? 
Now, with everything at stake—and worlds away from St. Vladimir's and her unguarded, vulnerable, and newly rebellious best friend—can Rose find the strength to destroy Dimitri? Or, will she sacrifice herself for a chance at eternal love?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           Rating:  4.66  of 5 stars
                                                                                           Series book: Yes 
                                                                                           Will I read the Next: Yes
A few ramblings about this book: Well then. How does this keep happening? I am officially obsessed with this series. It's a damn emotional roller coaster! And holy crap it's like a drug... But like one that can make you sad. And Dimitri....This cannot be! Why, Richelle Mead, WHY! 
I realize that I may use the word amazing too much, so I looked up some synonymes. So here's how I would describe this book: awesome, incredible, marvelous, stunning, confusing, and finally amazing. All those adjectives aside, it was also a little boring in the beginning. I realize the beginning is necessary, but less of it would have been nice. And then the end, that scene with Lissa, I was a little confused it all happened so fast and I was all like crappers now you decide to go fast? And then the actual ending! My breathing stopped. And then internal me was just like:  because breathing is necessary to survive so I can read the rest of these damn books. I say "damn books" because they make me happy and extremely angry at the same time. They also make me stop breathing. It's all terribly unhealthy. 

I've said this about Richelle Mead's writing before, but I will say it again. It's so detailed that at times it's too detailed. The first 300 or so pages of this book can attest to that. Don't get me wrong, detail are necessary. But too many just make me wanna skip, and then I miss something and have to go back and reread it, which takes twice the time, and I wouldn't have had to do that if I didn't think I would just be skipping something boring in the first place. And I don't think I've said this before, but I do like how in the beginning of the book theres a recap of the rest of the series before it.I think if you did take a break between books (and I don't see how you could), then you could easily pick up where you left off. Also, I loved the flash backs of the time her and Dimitri were together from previous books and the time in between those books.


This series really has gone in a whole different direction than I would have guessed when I started Vampire Academy. And ****SPOILER FROM LAST BOOK**** with Dimitri being dead, excuse me Strigoi. Not dead. And there being a possible cure, and finding that cure being dependent on Victor, I think the rest of the series will probably revolve around him, but I could be wrong. Anyway, the book started out extremely slow and then escalated more towards the end. There was also a plot with Lissa that you could see when Rose "visited" her through the bond, and even though I found myself tempted to skip, I have to admit it kind of escalated quicker than the plot with Rose did. 

I loved all the new characters in this book! It was especially emotional reading about Dimitri's family 'cause it's like, they don't know you're in Russia not only to tell them about Dimitri, but to kill him. Then there was Abe, *who's significance you don't realize until the end of the book*, he seems like just a mob boss but I think he has a hidden depth to him. And Dimitri. I didn't see that coming. Honestly that whole situation with him was just like mind-blowing. He was there, but wasn't and I was just like:
I don't even want to think about the heartbreaking romance. It's beyond my words. It was so sad. That's all I can say. Heartbreak. And I can't rate it because it was well written, but so sad. So no rating on this category.


Favorite quotes:

“That's what I was supposed to say...” 
-----------------------------
“We need to be together."
"Why?" I asked softly. The word was carried away on the wind, but he heard. 
"Because I want you."
I gave him a sad smile, wondering if we'd meet again in the land of the dead. "Wrong answer," I told him.
I let go.” 
-------------------------
“Okay, God, I thought. Get me out of this and I’ll stop my half-assed church-going ways. You got me past a pack of Strigoi tonight. I mean, trapping that one between the doors really shouldn't have worked, so clearly you're on board. Let me get out of here, and I’ll...I don’t know. Donate Adrian’s money to the poor. Get baptized. Join a convent. Well, no. Not that last one.” 
---------------------------------
“If your eyes weren't open, you wouldn't know the difference between dreaming and waking.” 

SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing: 4.5 out of 5
Plot: 4.5 out of 5
characters: 5 out of 5  
Overall: 4.66 out of 5
PG-13



No comments:

Post a Comment