Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

_________________________________
Okay so when I first saw the blurb for this I didn't think I was going to like it.  I put it back on the shelf and kept looking.  Well a fast forward to my Sweet Sixteen on November 1st at the local Barnes and Noble.  I have a notebook filled with a list of books I want, and I come across this, and I find it on my list.  So I picked it up.  Fast forward to later that night.  I'm in bed trying to figure out what book I want to read first.  I had already started a few of them.  Testing the waters to see which one I liked the best, but none of them captured my attention quite like this one did.  
I finished it a couple nights ago, and I wanted to start the next one, but I was tired and I wanted to read MLIA, AKA MyLifeIsAverage.   If you've never been on that site you need to because it is like my end of the day pick me up.
Anyways I loved it, and it may seem slow at first, but once you get into it, it gets better.  A lot better.  When you first meet Avika, our lovely leading man, you don't know how to feel about him.  Then the fangirl in you will set in, and you will fall head over heels for him.  You will be all like: ahakhkhdkjshdkhsi.
Okay so like half the names in here and the whole time I'm sitting there feeling like Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride going:
I mean I have no idea how to pronounce Karou or Avika.  I love them both, but I just can't pronounce their names to save the life of me.
Karou is like one of my all time favorite characters now.  She's fiery, she's a great artist, and the best part.  She had blue hair, and it grows out of her head naturally because she made a wish that it would be that way.  How awesome is that?!  I want blue hair, and I am going to die it that way very soon.  I feel bad for her though.  Spoiler alert: Her family is killed at the end of the book, by the man she loves.   
Avika isn't at the top of my perfect boyfriend list, but I do like him.  I mean he's an angel, but I've read a lot of angel books, and let me tell you he doesn't even come close to some of those.  And by those I mean Patch from Hush Hush.  He is one fine angel.  Avkia, well we'll see when I get around to reading the second book that is sitting on my shelf right now.  I'm really pulling for Avika.
Over all the book was fantastic.  If you haven't read this book yet, or if it's on your shelf calling to you to read it.  I would read it.  The writing was great, the characters were great, the idea was different. But be warned, this book will cause major feels.

Overview:
Rating: Four and Half
Author: Laini Taylor
Publisher:  Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
First Published: September 27th, 2011
Pages: 418 
Series Book: Yes
Will I Read the Next One: Yes
~ Ariadne 

 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment