Hysteria by Megan Miranda

14798443

Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian. She can't remember the details of that night but everyone knows it was self-defense, so she isn't charged. But Mallory still feels Brian's presence in her life. Is it all in her head? Or is it something more? In desperate need of a fresh start, Mallory is sent to Monroe, a fancy prep school where no one knows her . . . or anything about her past.But the feeling follows her, as do her secrets. Then, one of her new classmates turns up dead. As suspicion falls on Mallory, she must find a way to remember the details of both deadly nights so she can prove her innocence-to herself and others. 

In another riveting tale of life and death, Megan Miranda's masterful storytelling brings readers along for a ride to the edge of sanity and back again.








----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                Pink highlighting are spoilers, just highlight over them to see them                                                                                          Rating: 3  of 5 stars                          
                                                                            Series: No

Ya'll thought I was dead, didn't you? Well, I'm not, just in case that wasn't clear. But while I'm not dead, my computer is. I'm talking blue screen of death, dead. I kind of spilled some milk on the keyboard part and apparently it got down to the mainframe motherboard thingy whatever it's called. Basically the important part of the computer is waterlogged and I'm offline for the foreseeable future. But the good news is (I say as I type on my school's older than me computer so how good can the news really be..) I have quite a few reviews lined up, ready to type. Starting with Hysteria....



Three word to describe this book? Bat. Shit. Crazy. And not in a good way. I was so confused by the end that I regretted buying this instead of See Jane Run which was my second choice at the bookstore. It should have been my first. What was my biggest problem? The promised plot that helped me decide to pick up this book was not the main plot and it's seriously misleading. Also, the delivery was off. Like I was promised this fantastic story and I got....I don't even know what I got. Absolute crap, maybe...A misguided attempt at a suspense novel, definitely.

What was this book supposed to be about? Mallory killed her boyfriend, or well I guess it's to say ex, in self-defense. The problem is, she has no memory of the murder and apparently killing someone doesn't really help a girl's popularity. To solve the whole "everyone knows I killed my boyfriend so no one will talk to me for fear of a literal knife in their back" problem, it's off to boarding school for Mallory. But Uh-Oh someone else knows what happened and supposedly wants her dead. But turns out theres a whole other kind of psycho at the school. More murders and other crazy stuff happens and the motives for everything...um what? I still don't understand. Frankly, the whole bleeping plot is totally insane and a huge let down.

And one of the few thing that I did like about the book, emphasis on few, the romance. I know what you're thinking, "How can there be romance when she killed her boyfriend?" Obviously she's on the market, if for a slightly macabre reason, and an old flame is currently attending the same boarding school. Reid was the perfect boyfriend for Mallory. They had history, he was understanding when he needed to be, protective when necessary, and secure enough so that he didn't seem needy but also doesn't seem arrogant. And thank goodness it wasn't an instant thing. There was a connection, but they didn't immediately change their relationship statuses. How weird would it be if Mallory went from "recently killed my boyfriend" to "taken?"

SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing: 3 out of 5
Plot: 2 out of 5
characters: 4 out of 5  
Romance: 5 out of 5
Overall: 3 out of 5
PG-13

No comments:

Post a Comment