Ink by Amanda Sun

Ink (Paper Gods, #1)
I looked down at the paper, still touching the tip of my shoe. I reached for it, flipping the page over to look.

Scrawls of ink outlined a drawing of a girl lying on a bench.

A sick feeling started to twist in my stomach, like motion sickness.

And then the girl in the drawing turned her head, and her inky eyes glared straight into mine.


On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn’t know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can’t seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

Then there’s gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school’s kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn’t prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there’s no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.

Katie never wanted to move to Japan—now she may not make it out of the country alive
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pink highlighting are spoilers, just highlight over them to see them                    
                        Rating:  5 of 5 stars
                        Series book: Yes
                        Will I read the Next: Yes
This book was awesome. Laced with Japanese culture, action, and hot guys it was super hard to put down. When I first started reading it, it felt a little off to read. But that was just because there was Japanese words in with the English one. Not a ton, just a few here and there to kind of remind you "hey, your in Japan." I may be a little biased because I used to be totally obsessed with Japan when I was younger so there might be a little bit of fan-girling. You have been warned.
The writing was a little hard to get into at first because I don't speak Japanese. So when they put one Japanese word in an English sentence I was all kinds of confused. I really liked how the author described the scenery. It's not so detailed it's boring but you can also picture it clearly. Learning all about Japan while reading a pretty awesome action-packed paranormal romance was pretty amazing. Katie would be walking through the park describing how beautiful the Cherry blossoms are and then suddenly there's a fight with some gang member or some common bullies. The writing was easy to read and enjoyable.
I really liked this whole idea of the Kami and drawing that come to life. I also really like how there was real life gang stuff in the book. I could see some of this happening(not the drawings coming to life, but you know...).  Unlike in Twilight, where everything was vampires and werewolves, this was paranormal and real life. Like the perfect mix. Other than it being unique, it was a little bit predictable. I knew Jun was Kami and I knew he was probably gonna be a problem at some point. But not so much that it was boring. I wouldn't give it a few five stars, just because of the minor predictability.
I couldn't help but picture the characters as Japanese anime while I was reading. She said that Yuki would "wink and through a peace sign."   Does that not scream, anime to you? Anyway, it was kind of hard to picture how they looked but you could totally get their personalities. Tomohiro was the sensitive bad boy. Ishikawa was a Jackass gang member. And Katie was the stubborn heroine who asked to many questions. I really enjoyed reading about the characters and can't wait for the next book.
So, it was a typical "I'm pushing you away to protect you but I know you won't listen..." kind of relationship. At first, I wasn't even sure it would get serious but I was soo wrong. Tomohiro was totally dance worthy. I actually did a little dance in my seat every few minutes while reading about him. He was so sweet and cocky. And he was an artist. I'm swooning right now. Tomohiro is such an ideal book boyfriend.
SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing:  5 out of 5
Plot: 4.75 out of 5
characters: 4.5 out of 5  
Romance: 5 out of 5
Overall: 5 out of 5

PG-13 Kissing, gang violence, other types of violence

No comments:

Post a Comment