Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pink highlighting are spoilers, just highlight over them to see them                    
                        Rating:  5 of 5 stars
                        Series book: Yes
                        Will I read the Next: Yes
Holy Jesus. This book was amazing. I just can't even right now. While I was reading this I was all like:  And to Adam I was just like: 
It was just so amazing.

I just love this writing style. It's totally unique from anything else I've ever read. For one thing there are strikethroughs which just made everything fifty fucking more times fantastic  fifty more times intense. And I really liked how numbers played into this book. 
"1 word, 2 lips, 3 4 5 fingers form 1 fist.
1 corner, 2 parents 3 4 5 reasons to hide
1 child, 2 eyes, 3 4 17 years of fear"
That just kind of looks like poetry to me. And most of the writing in this book was like poetry. Yeah and you know how most authors compare raindrops to tears or something equally cliche? Yeah, she doesn't. She compares them to "someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn't seem to care where the contents fall, doesn't seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to tap on their doors."
That is just bleeping amazing.

The plot. I swear most of it slapped me in the face. I thought the whole book was gonna be with The Reestablishment with Juliette slowly learning to accept herself and somehow fighting conformity. No. This book is Juliette fighting against The Reestablishment. What got me was how. So rhere a whole community full of people with superpowers looking to rebel against the government? Kick-ass. I honestly can't think of anything that bothered me about the plot. It wasn't too slow or too fast, it wasn't predictable, it was amazing.

My favorite character is James. He comes in halfway through the book and is Adams ten year old little brother. He is just so cute and energetic and talkative. You could really tell that Adam loved him and that he loved Adam. I really liked how he wasn't afraid of Juliette at all. He's was all like "Oh your touch kills? I'm more concerned that you're sleeping in my brothers arms *eyebrow raise*." I also like how Juliette isn't really anything like she seems at first. At fist she seems really quiet and slightly insane and not at all strong...And then she turns out to be this totally kick-ass warrior who's all like "I don't exactly know how to use a gun, but I'm sure if I play around with the trigger it'll work eventually." The other characters were amazing. Totally 3-D, they kindof popped off the page. And then there was Warner...can you say *creeper*?

Adam was perfect. He's my new book boyfriend. You could kind of tell he was in love with Juliette in the very beginning, just by how he talked to her and how super thoughtful he was. Once it got started, the romance was super intense. Not hide-your-eyes-kids intense, but getting there. They were either talking about escaping, kissing, or talking about doing more than kissing. It kind of annoyed me how Juliette kept asking why. Like don't ask why! He's perfect! And then Warner couldn't take a hint that Juliette didn't want his pervy self. Like go die in a whole! You are not desired by any breathing person! Team Adam all the way.

Favorite quotes:
“My voice softens. 'How old are you?'
'I'll be eleven next year.'
I grin. 'So you're ten years old?'
He crosses his arms. Frowns. 'I'll be twelve in two years.'
I think I already love this kid.”

“Killing time isn't as difficult as it sounds.
I can shoot a hundred numbers through the chest and watch them bleed decimal points in the palm of my hand. I can rip the numbers off a clock and watch the hour hand tick tick tick its final tock just before I fall asleep. I can suffocate seconds just by holding my breath. I've been murdering minutes for hours and no one seems to mind.”

“His smile is laced with dynamite. "Go to sleep"
"Go to hell."
He works his jaw. Walks to the door. "I'm working on it.” 

“Girls are always talking about electricity in their romance, but none are too happy to actually be electrocuted, apparently. Bloody confusing, is what it is.” 

SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing:  5 out of 5
Plot: 5 out of 5
characters: 5 out of 5  
Romance: 5 out of 5
Overall: 5 out of 5

PG-13 Suggestive comments, making out, violence

No comments:

Post a Comment