Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon

Doon (Doon, #1)DOON…

Veronica doesn't think she's going crazy. But why can't anyone else see the mysterious blond boy who keeps popping up wherever she goes? When her best friend, Mackenna, invites her to spend the summer in Scotland, Veronica jumps at the opportunity to leave her complicated life behind for a few months.

But the Scottish countryside holds other plans.

Not only has the imaginary kilted boy followed her to Alloway, she and Mackenna uncover a strange set of rings and a very unnerving letter from Mackenna's great aunt—and when the girls test the instructions Aunt Gracie left behind, they find themselves transported to a land that defies explanation. Doon seems like a real-life fairy tale, complete with one prince who has eyes for Mackenna and another who looks suspiciously like the boy from Veronica's daydreams. But Doon has a dark underbelly as well. The two girls could have everything they've longed for...or they could end up breaking an enchantment and find themselves trapped in a world that has become a nightmare.

__________________________________
First of can I just, Ah hell no!  You can not end a book like that and then leave a girl hanging for a whole friggin' year!  I mean come on I've already got to wait for Rick Riordan's new on and Cassandra Clare's new ones.  A girl can only take so much.  I just can't even.... I just can't believe that they ended the book like that.  My fangirl has finally been broken.  I never thought that was possible.
So now that I've established that I can't wait a friggin' year for the next book and that my fangirl has been officially been broken let me tell you my thoughts on the book.  So when I first read the little blurb thingy I wanted to read it badly.  It sounded interesting and I love anything that has to do with Scotland.  As soon as I turn eighteen it is one of the first places I'm going.  While reading this I felt like I was actually there.  The authors took me there, and I liked the fact that I could see it like I'd been there before.  I loved it.  What I loved even more were the characters.
So Veronica is one of the main girls telling the story.  It alternates between her and her best friend Mackenna.  Normally I hate books that go back and forth, but this time I didn't mind it.  Veronica is the level head of the two.  She's the smart one.  I could relate to her because she loves to read books and she uses them as her escape.  I use them as an escape to from the really world.  So I can relate to her in that sense.  She doesn't really have a good life at home.  Her dad left her and her mom's an alcoholic with a perverted boyfriend.  What girl wouldn't want to escape really life and live in a book if their life were as crappy as hers?  
Mackenna loves the theater and the idea of new worlds.  Although when her friend starts talking about Doon and a boy that she's never met or talked to Mackenna starts thinking that she's a wee bit crazy.  Then come to find out her aunt was the same way.  It kind of sends her over the edge.  Until they find themselves in Doon.  It's not easy for her at first, but as the book goes on Doon kind of grows on her.  Also Prince Duncan sort of spices up her life.  Although she doesn't really want to admit it. 
I never told you who Veronica was falling for.  She was falling for Prince Duncan's older brother Jamie.  Jamie is sort of a jerk to Veronica at first, but you sort of find out why and it all makes sense.  I normally don't go for Jamie's type, but he just makes you smile.  I was grinning like a fool sometimes.  Hell I'm grinning like a fool now.  So I liked him, he'd be on my perfect boyfriend list.  Maybe he's not at the top, but he's still on the list.
So I highly recommend this book if you love Scotland, mythical lands, hot Scottish boys, and witches trying to take over the world, then this is definitely the book for you.
Overview:
Rating:  Five Stars
Author: Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon
Publisher: Zondervan
First Published: August 20th, 2013
Pages: 368
Series Book: Yes
Will I Read The Next One: Yes, Yes, a thousand times yes.  (I want the next on this very second.)
~Ariadne James
 

No comments:

Post a Comment