Frostbite by Richelle Mead

2282133Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose... 

It’s winter break at St. Vladimir’s, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy’s crawling with Guardians—including Rose’s hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn’t bad enough, Rose’s tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason’s got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa’s head while she’s making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy’s not taking any risks... This year, St. Vlad’s annual holiday ski trip is mandatory. 

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pink highlighting are spoilers, just highlight over them to see them                    
                        Rating:  4.5  of 5 stars
                        Series book: Yes
                        Will I read the Next: Yes

I cannot believe how quick 327 pages just flew by. Welp. Anyway, review time (in my head that was sing songy)! At first I was a little meh about the whole thing. I just honestly couldn't see where the story was going. But then I was like...hey. I read the Covenant series. And to be fair this was published first, and though there are alot of similarities I can definitely see the differences. The end though. That had me all teary-eyed. Like I cannot. Handle. This. Sadness. And then the actual end was all like oh hey, Dimitri I see your double meaning. Or is that just my dirty mind? Oh well, either way it deserves an eyebrow wiggle.

I don't know about you, but I consider it a real art when you can actually make a book fly by like this one did. At times I was kind of just like "Okay, details, details, blah, blah. Lets get on to the good stuff." And by good stuff I obviously mean Dimitri. Other than that I really do love how well the snarky bad ass teen is pulled off. I mean, that's a hard one. Most of the time you have to be a snarky bad ass teen at heart to pull that off. Congrats Ms.Mead you have successfully pulled off a second book. Claps for you.

A quick summary of the plot: Rose and the gang head to the slopes for winter break for what they hoped to be a fun but relaxing trip. But come on guys. This is Rose. She's like a damn magnet, and this time it doesn't turn out so happily ever after. Did I sound like a commercial? I've been working on that. The plot had me sorta surprised, sorta not. Mostly because of the fact that this series and the Covenant series are so alike. But the things that were different really did surprise me. It's really fast-paced, and with the emotional roller coaster going on with Rose's romantical involvements, it goes by likethat. 

Characters, character, characters. I feel like Dimitri was in this book, and he was alot, but he wasn't in the book if that makes sense. I wanted more dialog between him and Rose than what I got. I did like this new character, Adrian, alot though. I feel like his drunk-all-the-time-yet-sober thing really worked with Rose. This whole flirtationship...I sense Love triangle(sing song voice again)! Hope I didn't just Jinx it. I also liked how there was more Christian. It was good how Mead kind of expanded on those minor-future-major characters, while still focusing on the main. Character arches people. It's the name of the game, and you could definitely see them throughout Frostbite.

Dimitri, how I swoon for my Russian book boyfriend. This guy. Man he's great. Sorry, I get speechless. Anywhooo. The tension between Rose and Dimitri was kind of high throughout the book, partly because of him and Rose passionately kissing for all of a minute in the beginning of the book, partly because Mason and Rose have a thing, partly because of the fact that Adrian and Rose have a flirtationship, and partly because Dimitri has a thing with Tasha. It's a whole damn pizza of relationship problems with these guys. Hopefully in the next book Dimitri and Rose will be unofficially official, and a little love triangle action with Adrian wouldn't hurt either.

Favorite Quotes:

“what's your name?"
"What?" i asked, squinting at the light. ''You know my name."
I reconized Dr. Olendzki peering over me.
"I want you to tell me."
"Rose. Rose Hathaway."
"Do you know your birthday?"
"Of course I do. Why are you asking me such stupid things? Did you lose my records?"
Dr. Olendzki gave an exasperated sigh and walked off, taking the annoying light with her. "I think she's fine,” 
----------
“Rose only hangs out with guys and psychopaths," said Mia.
"Well," he said cheerfully, "since I'm both a psychopath and a guy, that would explain why we're such good friends.” 
-------------
“I've heard a lot about you, Rose. Don't worry. It was all good." 
"No, it wasn't.” 
---------
“Not into older guys, huh?" asked Adrian once we were alone.
"You're imagining things," I said. "Clearly, my stunning beauty has clouded your mind.” 
----

SUMMARY OF REVIEW(In case you don't actually feel like reading the review):
Writing: 5 out of 5
Plot: 4 out of 5
characters: 5 out of 5  
Romance: 4 out of 5
Overall: 4.5 out of 5

PG-13


No comments:

Post a Comment