Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck

Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1)
Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.

____________________________________
Oh my freaking gods this book was freaking amazing!  This was another book that I thought I wouldn't like, but I was wrong.  And boy am I glad I was wrong!  I would have been missing out on one of the best books in the entire world.  You read the Prologue and your sitting there kind of like, "What the f**k just happened?"  As the book goes on and you start meeting the characters things start to fall into place.  You sit there holding the book nodding your head like "Yep.  Okay.  It all makes since now."  I think Colleen has a very good series going on here, and I can't wait to read the rest of them.
Okay so before I continue on with my review I'm going to go off topic just a little.  So I was going through Goodreads marking the rest of the series as I want to read and I find out that there is going to be a fifth book!

The only problem with this is that it doesn't come out until 2015.  I can't wait that long people!  I am not a patient person.  It's like waiting for Sherlock season 3.  It's going to be long, torturous, and I'm going to go insane waiting for it.  But in the words of the great Sophia Petrillo, "But I digress."  And yes I watch Golden Girls.  Don't judge me.
This book is heartbreaking and beautiful, and you will fangirl your little heart out.  Especially with Ren and Kishan.  Oh my gods I am still trying to figure out which brother I like better.  It is too damn hard people!  They are both sexy, and drop dead gorgeous.  I'm sitting in bed reading about Ren, and I'm like, "Yep, I am sooo team Ren."  The enters Kishan, and I sitting there thinking I'm screwed.
Again.
I felt the exact same way with Will and Jem from Clockwork Angel.  It is an impossible choice, but at least in The Infernal Devices series Tessa got both men in the end.  I doubt Kelsey will get the same chance.  Plus I'm kind of pulling more toward Ren, but that could change in the blink of an eye.
Ah the joys of loving both men in a book series.  At least with most books you hate one and love one.  Problem solved.  But no....  Not with this book.  Grrrr.....
So Ren is a man and a tiger.  The white tiger on the cover to be exact.  He was put under a curse where he has to be a tiger and can only be a man for 24 minutes a day.  It is a long and complicated story that I really don't feel like typing out right now, so read the book and find out for yourself.  Anyways Kelsey doesn't fiend out this until she travels all the way to India with a tiger that was at the circus she was working for, for like two weeks.  She grew attached and when a man named Mr. Kadam comes and tells her that he bought Ren she is heart broken.  She's come to like Ren, and come to find out Ren grew to like her.  A lot.  She doesn't believe that the man is really her tiger.  She slowly comes to terms with this and starts to develop feelings for the guy.  When they go to find his brother you can tell that there are some harsh feelings there.  Ren's basically like:
And yes I used another Golden Girls reference.
Kishan on the other hand does harbor some ill will toward his brother, but he feels responsible for what he did to his brother.  You see Kishan wanted to marry the women that Ren was engaged to, and he made a deal with her father, who in turn tricked him and turned him and his brother into tigers.  While Ren is a white tiger with cobalt blue eyes, Kishan is a black tiger with golden eyes.  He's the bad boy brother.  And at the end when he comes back, he just made me want to swoon.
Okay both boys make me swoon.
Kelsey tells the story, and you feel kind of connected to her.  She's been through so much.  She lost her parents during her freshman year of high school, she had to live with foster parents, but they're really sweet to her, and she's broke.  So when this amazing job opportunity comes along of course she's going to take it.  It also means that she gets to spend more time with the tiger she's become so close too over the past two weeks.  Well that gets shot to hell when she finds out that he's a man.  A very rich, powerful, three hundred year old Indian prince.  She of course falls for the prince and this is where the Romance of the story comes in.  This is also where the heartbreak comes in.
Spoiler alert, read at own risk:  She decides at the end of the book that she's going to leave him.  She thinks that he's going to find someone else to be with after all of this.  He begs her not to leave, but she goes anyway, and as she leaves she hears a heartbreaking roar, and the book basically ends there.  Until you read the friggin' Epilogue.  There is the really cryptic guy that you know nothing about and he says, "We found her."  Or something like that.  And your sitting there staring at the book, and you remember she had a vision and Mr. Kadam told her that Lokesh, the guy that turned Ren and Kishan into tigers, is now after her and him.  So yeah, now we have to worry about him.  End of very large, very long spoiler. 
This book was oh my gods amazing and that ending made me want to read the next book.  Unfortunately it was late and I had to get up early in the morning, so I put it down and went to bed.  The next night I picked up the second book and almost made it hundred pages through, but again it was late and I had to go to bed.  So tonight I made sure that I didn't have a lot of school work to do tomorrow.  I set my alarm for a later time tomorrow morning, and I am going to read until I can no longer hold my eyes open.  :)
More reviews to come on The Tiger Saga.
Overview:
Rating: Five Stars
Author: Colleen Houck
Publisher: Sterling
First Published:  January 11th, 2011
Pages: 403
Series Book: Yes
Will I Read The Next One: Hell to the yes, I have already started and it is gooood.
~ Ariadne  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment